Wednesday, August 4, 2010

And so it begins...

Yumm! Our first meal on the Maker's Diet was DELICIOUS! I think God did that to help us stay motivated, because let me tell you... it's not that easy!  Around 5pm on Day 1, the headaches, which many say are common during a detox, took over.  No fun whatsoever!  I finally gave in today (Day 2) and took a Tylenol. I suppose that's cheating since we are supposed to be taking in only that which is 100% natural and healthy, but Garrett says my excuse is that God made me the weaker vessel, so I'm allowed to help ease the pain with a lil' Tylenol. ; )  And, I mean, if pregnant women can take Tylenol, I doubt it's THAT harmful to my body, right? Anyhow, headaches aside, we both have already experienced a surge of energy!  Perhaps it's simply a psychological effect since we've been anticipating our energy to increase, but hey, it sure is better than waking up exhausted and feeling lethargic all day! 

I would describe the first two days in this way:

DAY 1: energized, hungry, headaches, trial and error/learning process.
DAY 2: energized, headaches, full satisfied tummies, and hopeful.

So, here's what we ate:

Day 1

Breakfast:   Drink mix/shake (if going "all-out" with the Garden of Life "Green Perfect Food" & "Super Seed" products, DO NOT try blending it up into a fruit smoothie like I did.  Bad move.  And here's why: It's gross. Cold. And takes way too long to drink down in that form.  My recommendation: buy the pill formula instead of the powder).  Since Garrett was such a man and just mixed the powders with water, he also enjoyed a goat's milk yogurt for his breakfast. 

Lunch:  Roasted Chicken and Gravy (recipe: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/02/my-favorite-dinner-roasted-chicken-and-gravy-2.html), steamed asparagus, and a romaine salad with shredded carrots, and Garrett's homemade oil & vinegar dressing.  : )
Above was my plate. Garrett had a more generous portion of meat. : )
Snack:  Organic celery & carrots with Raw Almond Butter (organic since it was on the "Dirty Dozen List of 2010"; you can check out the whole list at: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/04/29/2010-dirty-dozen-produce-list-released-by-the-ewg/)

Dinner:  Leftover chicken and gravy, salad, and berries (blackberries & raspberries).  I also nibbled on a slice of Goat's Milk Cheddar Cheese.  A very sad dinner... which is probably why we were both so hungry before going to sleep!  Oh well, we learned our lesson because on Day 2, we had...

DAY 2

Breakfast: A big, stuffed, yummilicous omelet with grilled onions, red peppers, mushrooms, and avocado!  I had prepped the veggies the night before to save time in the morning... which I highly recommend! : )
The blob on top is avo sprinkled with chili powder.

Lunch:  Baked Salmon (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Salmon-II/Detail.aspx) and a strawberry spinach salad.  We kept lunch on the lighter side, since we were both pretty full after our breakfast feast. 


Snack:  Good old celery & carrots with almond butter, and a mix of berries again.

Dinner:  Tonight we enjoyed our chicken and gravy leftovers along with a salad.  Thankfully, we are both still full and without headaches! : ) 

*You will notice we tend to eat heavier earlier in the day... this is because Garrett works afternoon-evenings, so his dinner is whatever I can pack into his mini-cooler for him to eat on his break at work.

Keep checking back in to see what's next on our Maker's Diet Phase One menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment